Forums HomeRegisterSearchFAQRulesUsergroupsLog in
Achromodic
PDXLAN Forum Index -> Modding Discussion » Project logs Only. All times are UTC - 8 hours Reply to topic
Boddaker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Achromodic Reply with quote
Hey guys, I present to you my next mod project: Achromodic! As the name implies, this mod will be totally devoid of color. I've always tried to do something new for each and every mod, and I recently realized I've never done a black and white theme. And with all the RGB craziness going on these days, I thought it would be fitting to go completely off the technicolor reservation for this project. Smile

Cooler Master was kind enough to send me their flagship case, the Cosmos C700P, along with an 850w PSU as well as their new AIO Liquid Maker 240 watercooling kit! Smile

CM has partnered with ASUS and ROG, and they've supplied the motherboard and GPU:

Zadak511 also joined in, and sent me this awesome kit with RAM and an SSD:

Here is a shot of the Liquid Maker 240 kit.. This has everything you need to put your CPU on water, and it's not hermetically sealed like an AIO would be, so you can add blocks or swap out components at your liesure!

For the design, I wanted it to be sleek and elegant, as an exotic supercar would be, but with some organic touches thrown in. So the case will be a majestic white with black chrome accents, and then some random webbing will be incorporated into the panels here and there. Should look pretty cool when its done! Here's a concept rendering I pieced together in Photoshop..

One thing I wanted to do was have a see-through center on this case. The side panel is smoked tempered glass, and it's interchangeable with the other side, so I ordered a second glass panel so you'll be able to look through the case, even when the doors are closed. Smile The motherboard and GPU will be supported by the organic webbing in the center of the case, and all four interior walls will be lighted panels. So in theory, the hardware should be easily visible through the smoked glass doors. We'll have to wait and see!

Thank you Cooler Master, ASUS, ROG, and Zadak511 for allowing me to get creative once more, and hopefully end up with a beautiful showpiece. Smile

Work is already under way, so the first update will be posted shortly..

Last edited by Boddaker on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Post
Boddaker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

I started out gutting the case and taking measurements.

Then I was off cutting and bending some steel sheet to make the flanges that will be mounted on each side of the case.

They simply mount to the side rails like so..

After making all the flanges for both sides, I mocked up the center pieces with cardboard, which will later become lighted acrylic panels.

Next step will be making corner reinforcing pieces that will connect them all together, so I'll have two identical side flange assemblies.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Post
DarthBeavis
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Beautiful Cosmos sequel but no where as sexy as the secret prototype (not feasible for retail due to cost of production). They really should send you that Wink Though you will have to fight Ronnie Hara for it.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:38 pm
xeromist
Lt. Colonel (Mod)
Lt. Colonel (Mod)

I approve of your RGB defiance.

● ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z ● Intel 2600K ● DangerDen cooling ● 8GB G.Skill Trident ● Zotac GTX980Ti ●
● Patriot PyroSE SSD ● Antec Signature 650 PSU ● Antec Mini P180 ● [ Lenovo Y500 GTX750m SLI ] ●
Picture Association Thread: http://www.pdxlan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7466
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:06 pm
Boddaker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

DarthBeavis wrote:
Beautiful Cosmos sequel but no where as sexy as the secret prototype (not feasible for retail due to cost of production). They really should send you that Wink Though you will have to fight Ronnie Hara for it.

Well if its so secret, how do you know about it? Razz

Will have to ask Raymen about it, because I want to see it now.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:10 am
DarthBeavis
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Boddaker wrote:
DarthBeavis wrote:

Well if its so secret, how do you know about it? Razz

Will have to ask Raymen about it, because I want to see it now.

Wink

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:14 pm
Boddaker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Making some corner braces to connect all the flanges together.. made a paper template, cut them out of some galvanized steel scrap, and bent them to fit.

Using my spot welder, I tacked them in place while the flanges were on the case, so I was sure they will go back on after taking them off!

Once all four sides were connected, I removed the flange assembly from the case and added more spot-welds.

Love this thing.. it's quick and way better than using fasteners, if you're sure you won't be taking anything apart anytime soon lol.

The corners will be smoothed over on the front side with body filler, then primed & painted.

Work continues!

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:22 am
decripple
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Excited for another fantastic Boddaker build Log!

Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:40 pm
Boddaker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Decided to make a window in the front panel of the case to view the reservoir, which will be filled with Primochill's amazing new Vue fluid. Very Happy

So the first thing I did was draw up a cutting template. I basically let the shape of the CM logo define the opening.

After using the cutting wheel for the straight lines, I drilled out the remaining curved areas with a small bit.

Once the hole was cut, I deburred and sanded the opening so I could add a strip of ABS around the edges for a nice clean finish, and give thickness to the panel.

A view from the front so far..

And then after rounding the edges and sanding the entire panel..

Finally, a shot with the reservoir. Now that I know where it needs to be, I can fabricate a nifty mounting bracket for it. And thanks to the C700P's interchangeability, there's no shortage of screw holes to utilize!

Hopefully I can wrap up the res mounting this week, as well as a slight modification to the PSU mounting area. (the PSU is in the same place, just set a bit lower to maximize the space.)

Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:57 pm
Vector
PDXLAN Founder
General
General

Nice!

Elegance > bling.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:36 am
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XFire Address Post
DarthBeavis
Lt. Colonel
Lt. Colonel

Still waiting for one of your projects that suck.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:41 am
Govtman
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Vector wrote:
Nice!

Elegance > bling.

Hear, Hear! Seconded, doubled and redoubled.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:22 pm
PDXLAN Forum Index -> Modding Discussion » Project logs Only. View next topic
View previous topic
Reply to topic
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: