Forums HomeRegisterSearchFAQRulesUsergroupsLog in
Capn's Prodigy Build
PDXLAN Forum Index -> Modding Discussion » Project logs Only. All times are UTC - 8 hours Reply to topic
Capn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Capn's Prodigy Build Reply with quote
Working on a new case, hoping to have it completed in time for Summer PDX.

It's starting life as a BitFenix Prodigy. A Mini-ITX case that I absolutely love.
Fits full size videocards, and has space for multiple water cooling radiators.

So far I have the basics planned:
Windows being cut
Water cooling installed
Either paint or vinyl covered, haven't quite decided yet.
Optical drive removal. I rarely use it anymore.
Front panel replacement. There's a spot for a big fan behind the front panel, but no cutout for airflow. I think replacing the front panel completely would be easier and cleaner looking than trying to mod the current one.

So here's some pics of whats going on so far:

I wasn't bright enough to get a picture of it before, so here's a stock picture:

Here it is with my basic components installed. Note the top handle has been removed while I plan out of of the mods:

Here are some pics of the side panel. I've removed the 2.5 hdd mounts and the power switch assembly.
I've never liked side-mounted power buttons. I'm thinking of relocating them either to the front, or perhaps the bottom of the front.

I've got the windows sized out how I want them to be. Goign to start cutting tonight or tomorrow. Whenever I get the motivation. More pics and progress to come.
Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website AIM Address Post
rodrosenberg
Tea Baggers Leader
Lt. Colonel (Mod)
Lt. Colonel (Mod)

Nice I love Mini-ITX builds!

This is a pretty sweet case other then the amount of space used by the handles/feet. IMO

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XFire Address Post
LDCRIS
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

looking forward for this!
what MB you using in it?

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:25 pm
Capn
Sergeant
Sergeant

LDCRIS wrote:
looking forward for this!
what MB you using in it?

Just an ECS board I picked up for the ECS case mod competition not too long ago. I haven't been in the overclocking scene in a while so it does what I need.

i5-2500k
256gb SSD
1tb HDD
Radeon 7970
8gbx2 G.Skill DDR3

For anyone wondering the full specs
Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website AIM Address Post
Capn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Started making the first cuts today. I had hoped to get both side panels done, but only got one:

Finished cut. And yes, I know I need to straighten out the right side Razz

Starting the process of shaving the cutouts for the buttons/leds/ports.
First filling it with some JB Weld for a little strength, then finishing it up with a little bondo.

This also came in the mail today:

I didn't snap any pics of the test fit, but ti fits perfect under the handles. Gives about an extra inc of interior space. I picked up two Antec Kuhler 1x120mm watercooling kits. One for the CPU and one for the GPU. I know I know.. 1x120mm is weak for this community, but I'm not planning on any doing any real overclocking, if any at all so these should work great, especially at $50 each.

More pics to come.
Wed May 01, 2013 11:04 pm
Capn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Got some more work done.

Both side panels cut and cleaned up.

Here you can see the fill job on the buttons/ports:

The original plan was JB Weld, then make it nice and smooth with some auto body putty. But I've scratched that because I've decided t vinyl wrap it instead of paint, and the tiny holes won't make a difference.

Here a tease of whats to come this weekend:

Last edited by Capn on Mon May 06, 2013 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Fri May 03, 2013 9:10 am
Govtman
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Capn wrote:
The original plan was JB Weld, then make it nice and smooth with some auto body putty. But I've stracted that because I've decided t vinyl wrap it instead of paint, and the tiny holes won't make a difference.

Snip...

You may want to reconsider not filling the holes. Depending on how thick that Di-NOC is, those holes may show as little craters in the vinyl. You want as smooth a surface as you can get to place the vinyl fo the best results. Will they be real visible? Maybe not. but if they are visible at all it will drive you crazy, and that's what everyone will notice first.

Fri May 03, 2013 10:10 am
autobot
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

If its standard 3M Di-Noc, those little holes won't show up at all. When I first wrapped my PowerMac G5 case with Di-Noc none of the hundreds of tiny holes in the front showed through.

Fri May 03, 2013 10:34 am
Hateplow
Corporal
Corporal

Govtman wrote:
Capn wrote:
The original plan was JB Weld, then make it nice and smooth with some auto body putty. But I've stracted that because I've decided t vinyl wrap it instead of paint, and the tiny holes won't make a difference.

Snip...

You may want to reconsider not filling the holes. Depending on how thick that Di-NOC is, those holes may show as little craters in the vinyl. You want as smooth a surface as you can get to place the vinyl fo the best results. Will they be real visible? Maybe not. but if they are visible at all it will drive you crazy, and that's what everyone will notice first.

/agree

Get ya a little bondo in there! Great looking project, I love those cases!
Fri May 03, 2013 1:20 pm
Vector
PDXLAN Founder
General
General

Looking forward to the progression on this one.

Fri May 03, 2013 4:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message   Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XFire Address Post
Capn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Govtman wrote:
Capn wrote:

Snip...

The vinyl I'm using is Di-Noc. Very thick and it's textured. I tested with a scrap piece and you can't see the holes at all. So it would be more than fine not filling in.

BUT I ended up using the bondo elsewhere on the case, so I went ahead and bondoed that spot since I had some mixed anyway Razz

I didn't get much work done this weekend on account of it being so damn nice out, so I'll be working like a mad man this week. I'm trying to avoid my normal routine of late-night modding to finish the night before PDX.
Mon May 06, 2013 7:44 am
Capn
Sergeant
Sergeant

I Haven't been updating as much as I should be. I've got more work done on the build.

More cutting. This time for the radiator should on the top of the case:

The case all stripped:

Cuts marked:

Cuts made:

Now on to some prep work before beginning to vinyl wrap the case.

Here's the radiator shroud that will be mounted on top:

The sides are removable with a few screws. I don't like the ribs on the side, so I'll be filling those in so it will be smooth when wrapped:

Bondo applied and sanded down:

Next step, vinyl wrapped. I got a bit of it done last night, but I don't want to share the photos until it's done. I'm loving the way the Di-Noc looks though. I'll try and get more done so I can post pictures tomorrow morning.

Steps remaining:
-Vinyl Wrapping
-Window acrylic cut and mounted
-Power Supply wires trimmed and sleeved
-Water cooling installed on GPU
-Power/reset buttons relocated
Thu May 16, 2013 8:17 am
Capn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Ity's too long since I've posted an update, but I've been working non stop on this guy.

I haven't been taking many in-progress pictures, but I have taken a lot of pictures as I finish each step, so here's where the project is at:

I finished up all the vinyl wrapping of the case. The handles were the biggest pain in the ass(NOTE the bottoms of the handles have been wrapped since these pics were taken):

I think the radiator shroud is my favorite piece so far. It looks awesome wrapped and mounted. It fits so perfect under the handles that it looks stock:

The sun caught the pattern in this pic to make the texture really stand out:

Picked up a new power supply for this build. It was a brand new Antec 620watt from ebay for a whopping $40. Should be more than enough juice for my machine:

The cables are WAY too long, and there's way too many. I specifically bought a non-modular PSU because it would be cheaper, and I knew I would need work anyway. So it's getting all the connectors that I dont need cut, and the ones I do need, shortened and sleeve in paracord:

Tools of the trade:

The paracord looks black in the pictures, but it matches the brown pretty well:

The PSU guts:

No more in-progess pics of the sleeving. I now know why sleeving services are so expensive. Holy moly it was a long and tedious PITA. But the results are good:

Test fit with some test gear I have laying around:

Bonus pic of my work station:

More pics to come.

Steps remaining:
-Vinyl Wrapping
-Window acrylic cut and mounted
-Power Supply wires trimmed and sleeved
-Water cooling installed on GPU
-Power/reset buttons relocated
Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:29 pm
PDXLAN Forum Index -> Modding Discussion » Project logs Only. View next topic
View previous topic
Reply to topic
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: